19 February 2016

February: In which I'm already 3 books behind. No me diga, tell me something I don't know!

Somehow, we are almost done with February. Winter months seem to slow to a crawl and then speed up with no warning and suddenly you are almost through the summer. Easter is early this year and that throws me off too. I'm not sure what the reason is, but Goodreads says I'm behind on my reading. 

Sigh.

Raise your hand if you are surprised. 
Yeah, me neither. 

I am SLOGGING through The Shadow Lamp. I'm making better progress but I just can't seem to focus on the story. I can't see what the point is or where all the stories are going. Frodo and Sam needed to get the ring to Mordor. Bilbo and the Dwarves were going to reclaim the mountain and slay the dragon. Elizabeth and her sisters are unmarried with no prospects until the very single Mr Bingley moves to town; Mrs Bennet's sole purpose in life is to see her daughters married and married well. I don't get that sense of purpose with this book. That doesn't mean it isn't well written...I just don't have motivation to finish. 
But ok, here's the thing. 
When I finish this book, I'll only have one book in the series left. Do I finish? Ugh. Trust me. I'll keep you posted. 

My friend Rachel got the audio book (read by my beloved Lin-Manuel Miranda) for Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe recently. So of course I picked up the book. Me and audio books don't always get along so I spring for the hard copy whenever I can. It wasn't what I expected but still good. If you've been around my blog, I think I've talked about Young Adult and young adult books before. This was kinda on the line between the two, but sliding more to the young adult side. 

As per usual, I picked up a book on a whim the last time I was at the library. Like, it isn't enough that I have two books waiting for me...I have to go and pick up one more thing I probably won't get time to finish. Anyway. I saw the movie Sarah's Key years ago and decided that while it was good, the story was too sad and I didn't want to read the book. But ... um, that's exactly what I'm doing. And I'm really glad I picked it up because the movie did an excellent job conveying the emotion the book evokes. 

It would be terrible for me to finish this post without talking about Hamilton, especially after the remarkable win it achieved last Monday at the Grammys! And everyone got to see the performance, right??! Outstanding work. All of it.
And because this is starting to sound like a Lin-Manuel Miranda post, I'm gonna sign off quick before I start raving about In the Heights, his first musical which is currently playing at my house. Oops. 

No comments: