12 January 2012

welcome

When I was in London, I had to read "Great Expectations" for one of my literature classes.
As much as I love literature, British literature, and every single part of my class at London Metropolitan University, I deeply despise this book.

Deeply.

However, while I was reading it I happened upon the phrase "scattered wits."
Scattered wits take a long time picking up; and often, before I had got them well together, they would be dispersed in all directions by one stray thought...

And somewhere through all the Dickens hate (as an English major, I'm allowed *some* hate, right?) those two words stuck with me.

So I went online to check if 'scattered wits' was a blog name throu
gh Google. It was not and so I snatched it up...and have been sitting on it for the past three years.

From the beginning I decided I wanted to keep it as a book/movie review type blog, since I already had a personal blog going. I read a lot of books and love recommending them to friends. I'm not saying I'll have fabulously brilliant things to say about everything I read. I just like to share.

A few days into January, I also set a goal for myself on Goodreads to read 35 books this year. Everybody else was setting goals, and so I gave into the peer pressure. I figured this blog would be a really good way to keep track of that as well.

I hope to bring you reviews of good books, good movies and maybe a book or film (or two) that just doesn't make the "must" list. But as Pip said, sometimes one single thought can derail the train, so I make no promises...


A few books on my to read list:

A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin
The Four Loves by C. S. Lewis
Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak
Scarlet by Stephen Lawhead
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon
The Chronicles of Narnia and Philosophy edited by Bassham & Walls

No comments: